The problem with fleas
Fleas are most notorious for transmitting bubonic plague from wild rodents to humans in some parts of the world. However, this is not known to occur in Australia.
Main flea species in Australia are:
- Cat flea, which is the most common flea in Australia. It attacks dogs, rats, humans and other mammals.
- Dog flea, which is less common than the cat flea, but similar in appearance. This flea attacks a wide variety of mammals.
- Human flea, which is uncommon due to the increase in home hygiene standards. This flea also attacks dogs, pigs, rats and mice.
When adult fleas emerge from their cocoons, they are ready for their first blood feed. Adults are quite active, crawling and jumping in hair or fur.
Adult fleas can survive for many months without feeding. Flea saliva contains anticoagulants to keep the blood flowing so they can feed easily.
Controlling fleas in and around your home doesn’t stop with treating pets, it takes an attack on multiple fronts.
Pet flea control
It is common for fleas to be found in areas where household pets rest. These areas should be controlled first. Pet bedding should be thoroughly vacuumed or preferably steam cleaned.
Check for fleas by parting the fur, particularly around the ears and rump. Look for adult and faeces and treat with a vet recommended control.
Ensuring pets and animals cannot access areas beneath the house can also help to minimise the chance of fleas spreading indoors.
Garden flea control
Outside, loose debris and weeds should be removed and the lawns mowed. This helps expose their environment and is a good integrated pest management tool. Larvae are known to prefer shaded areas.
In Adelaide, it’s important to also control rodents that carry fleas. Closing of subfloor areas will block off nesting grounds and internal access to rooms or wall cavities of your home.
Home flea control
- Cleaning and mopping hard floors.
- Vacuum carpets and rugs.
- Cleaning where pets sit or lay.
- Cleaning bedding in hot water.
The final thing is to call Michael at MD Pest Control and book a time for a professional flea pest control treatment.